Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Photography Equipment

Here is the post I promised y'all on my photography equipment. :) If you have any questions about anything please feel free to ask me in the comment section!





Camera Body: Nikon D3000 10.2 MP Digital SLR Camera
Learn more about it here.
This is the original camera I started my wonderful adventure of DSLRs with! As far as I can tell, it has a considerably simple design and is very easy to work with. I was able to find my way around it very soon after first getting it into my hands. :) Having never even held a DSLR before, it was quite a new experience for me. When the lens is attached it feels rather heavy compared to a simple point-and-shoot. Also, with this particular model, you can only see through the viewfinder to take a picture, unlike a point-and-shoot where you see it on the large screen. You can review the picture on it once taken of course, but for some this might take a little adjusting to. Actually, I much prefer it now that I've gotten used to it, and when a sibling asks me to take a picture with their point-and-shoot I automatically bring it up to my face to look through (ouch). Haha! :P 
I'm considering an upgrade to a more professional DSLR one day, but not for quite some time yet. In the meantime, this little camera that I was blessed with will be perfect for capturing those moments and bits of life that are beautiful to me. :) I highly recommend it if you are starting out with DSLRs, or simply want something easy to work with and use while still getting great pictures.



Lens: Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor Lens
Learn more about it here.
This is my zoom lens. I don't use this one as often as my other lenses because I don't always need to get so close to my subjects. They're most often close enough to capture with my 50mm. :) However, I love to use this one when I'm taking bird pictures, as well as pictures of certain 'shy' farm animals (read: naughty little Smoky the calf). This is also great if you simply want a closer shot of something. In my own humble opinion, this one is also great to carry around for capturing shots out-of-doors, such as when on a walk or going on a nature study. Perfect for shots of timid wildlife, as well as interesting flora or fauna that might not be easy to reach or get close to. (Can't you tell I've been out in the woods with my zoom lens for a little too long?? 


Lens: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Learn more about it here.
This lens usually comes in the kit, and is great as an all-purpose lens, especially if you don't want to carry around a lot of lenses and have to change them if you go from shooting a wide scenery to a bouquet of flowers. I like how you can get a nice wide shot when at 18mm, and still zoom in enough to get a closer view at 55mm. It's not my favorite simply because the quality isn't quite as good as a "set" lens (such as my 50mm) and because you don't get the same creamy backgrounds and very sharp detail. It's still a fabulous all-purpose lens, however, and it's perfect for a budding photographer learning their way around DSLRs.



Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens
Learn more about it here.
This lens is by far my favorite! Perfect for portraits and still life, it gives crisp, clean pictures with smooth, creamy backgrounds. The low aperture also allows you to take pictures in lower light conditions, which is fantastic. This is the one you'll find me using the most often. Just about any picture on my blog (taken after Dec. 25 2010) was shot with this one. The only thing you might not like about it is that it is set at a particular millimeter length, meaning you can't zoom in and out. So if you want a wider shot, such as a piece of a garden or a bedroom, you'll have to walk a good bit away from where you would normally stand if you had a wide-angle lens. Being a "set" lens is actually what I like about this one, because it allows you to get sharper, cleaner, more detailed pictures than say, the 18-55mm.
(This lens is also fabulous if you like a lot of lovely bokeh in your pictures!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Along with the camera and lenses themselves, I also use my brother's very nice tripod for certain shots.
A remote will probably be the next little piece of equipment I will purchase, for when I want to take family portraits that actually include me in them (:P) and for when I want to set my camera and tripod up in front of a bird feeder, etc.

As I add to my 'camera bag' so to speak, I'll try to post on my new gadgets. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please remember that I am still an amateur photographer and these are just my own simple opinions on the things I use.
I hope this helped you out in someway, and again, please feel free to ask questions! :)

Blessings!


p.s. This post took me quite some time and effort to put together, please do not copy or take any piece of my personal text. Thank you!!
p.p.s. The images on this post were courtesy of google images and the sites linked to.

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all of your nice equipment. I know the future remote will be VERY nice. Have a 'snappy' day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mrs. Lawson! They are an incredible blessing to have! :)
    I think the remote will be a nice addition to my 'collection', as well!

    Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a lovely afternoon! :)

    {{Hugs}}
    ~Livvy

    ReplyDelete
  3. eee! I LOVE posts about people's gear - and what a great one this is. :) I shoot Canon, but the 50mm 1.4 is also my favorite! Wondrous lens. Saving up for it now. :)

    Btw, I looooove the music at the bottom of your page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your information. I have a canon rebel and really love it. I have been looking in to buying a new lens and your advice is very helpful.

    (I also noticed that you have some of the same lenses as Emily rose on simply vintage has.) :-)

    Although I have a canon and you have a nikon I am thinking that the lenses would be similar in quality but most likely not exact... ( I do have a lot of research to cover though.)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Your blog is always a joy to read.

    Blessings,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so great to read about your photography equipment! You are truly a gifted photographer, and the Lord has certainly blessed you!
    My camera is a Nikon D40X, and I also use a 18-55mm. lens as well as a 55-200mm. lens. My favorite is the 55-200mm. because of my love for nature photography! I would love to get a macro lens in the future! :)

    Many Blessings,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments Ladies!

    @Hannah
    Me too! It's always really interesting to see what other people use. :)
    Isn't the 50mm fabulous?? Aw, thanks! I adore soft, gentle music!

    @Leah
    My sisters have a Rebel, as well! :) They really enjoy it.

    Yes, Emily Rose was my main inspiration to buy a DSLR. She has been an incredible blessing to me when I have a question about my camera, lens, or Photoshop! I probably would not own my 50mm if she had not suggested it to me. :)
    Yes, I think Canon sells lenses very similar to Nikons, so you should be able to find one for your camera. You're very welcome, I'm glad you found it helpful!
    Oh, thank you! That's so sweet! :)

    @Jenna
    You are such a sweet, kind young lady! :) I always visit your blog and think the exact same thing about you and your photography!

    The zoom lens certainly is a blessing to own! :)
    Oh, the macro lens is one I would love to have! I'm thinking about getting that one, as well as possibly the 24mm lens, because I would like to own a wide angle "set" lens. :)

    Hugs to all of y'all!
    Have a lovely afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I use a Canon T1i, so all my lenses are canon, but I'm sure they are pretty similar. It is interesting though that the way you rotate the camera to zoom is the opposite for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want that last lens sooo badly. :) It sounds like it's awesome!

    I was just sure that you had the D5000! It's cool that we have the same one.

    Your photography is, as always, amazing.

    love,
    Camille

    P.S. Coming this way any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Livvy!

    Remember me? Becky. I contacted you awhile ago sometime last summer...I don't know if you remember. I have a blog, and I'm having my first giveaway!
    Visit: http://heritageofgrace.wordpress.com/category/sharing/

    In Christ,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Livvy,

    I gave the wrong link to the giveaway. Sorry. Here's the correct one: http://heritageofgrace.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/sharing-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might want to take a look at my latest blog post....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Livvy! I do remember seeing you and your family at the retreat. I wish we could've met!!
    Have a blessed day!

    Love,
    Sarah Beth

    P.S. All your photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE YOUR BACKROUND...AND YOUR PHOTOS!!

    jemimabakytgul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your blog and found this post very helpful! I'm looking to upgrade from my point and shoot 5MP camera.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very informative, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing! I love hearing what other have in their camera bag. You have some beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE my 50mm too. Although I'm a Canon girl :-) Thanks for following my blog,I'm following yours now as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I just got a D3000, and am looking at that Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor lens. Does it auto-focus? I can't seem to find that...
    Thanks!

    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

    -Kyrie<><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyrie! I made a typo when I wrote this several years ago and said that I have a f/1.4D when actually I have the f/1.4G, as pictured.
      The *D* version will NOT auto-focus with the D3000 because that camera doesn't have a focus motor built in. The *G* version DOES have auto-focus that will work with the D3000.
      Sorry for the confusion!

      Blessings!

      Delete