Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Is It Edifying?

The U.S English Thesaurus describes the word Edifying as:
Educational
Artistic
Enlightening
Enriching
Civilizing
Literary
Intellectual


The Encarta dictionary describes the word edifying as:

"Educational. Providing morally useful knowledge or information"

I've been thinking about how often I don't ask myself before posting "is this edifying?"
Inspired by several young ladies whose blogs I read, I realize that all too often my posts aren't as edifying as they could should be.
I believe that for a post to be edifying, it should be:

♦Encouraging
♦Enlightening
♦Enriching
♦Convicting
♦Thought Provoking
♦Inspiring
♦Christ Honoring

A post doesn't have to have all of these "traits" to be edifying, though it would be a wonderful one if it did!
Often, I find myself writing a post, and thinking, "if I take away the unedifying parts of it, how much would be left?".
Being a young Christian lady, and proclaiming myself as such, I have a reputation to uphold. My blog can be viewed by anyone with internet access, and I will leave an impression on anyone who sees it. This means it is very important for me to leave the right kind of impression, not for myself, but for the multitude of Christians like me.


It is my duty to uphold the name of Christ. If I do not, then why even have a blog? I know that blogs are a wonderful way for young ladies to meet and fellowship, as well as be an encouragment to one another, but we must also leave a message for the Lord.

In example; "idolizing" certain things on our blogs takes away the message for Christ and leaves a different one. It says "I love this so much, I don't need the Lord in this area of my life." And are we actually like this?

I am guilty of things such as this, but as I am working on these flaws during my personal walk with the Lord, I always want to portray the life of a sincere Christian. I pray that I will never cause someone to stumble, or turn away wondering if Christianity is right for them.

This is why it is so important to reflect Christ in everything we do. We must be the bearers of Light in this world.
I believe that the Lord has placed each of us in a special position, allowing us to show the Word to others who may not be Christians.


It would horrify me to learn that there may have been someone, perhaps an unbeliever seeking the Truth, who saw my blog and thought:
"Is this how these Christians act/think/live? If so, I don't want to be associated with any kind of Christian.".

I'm sure that they would not be influenced solely by me, but what if it negatively affected them?
It causes me stop and consider the consequences.
What about you?

From now on, I am going to diligently try to make each post more edifying.
This is Christ honoring, and hopefully it will bless my readers and anyone who passes by my blog.
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Philippians 4:8

Some lovely, edifying blogs to read:
Joyfully Home
Feminine Farmgirl
Aspiring Homemaker
Content In Christ

Thoughtfully,

~Livvy

4 comments:

  1. i totally agree and it would be nice, for me anyway, to have you all just drop a comment and say, 'that wasn't very edifying', or 'that was great'. Just so we can keep each other in check. lol.
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great point, Livvy, and I totally agree with you! Thank you for the thought-provoking post, dear friend! It's always such a joy and encouragement to visit your site. :)

    ~ Blessings in Christ,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was a great post, Livvy! The reason that we blog (like everything else) is to glorify God. Thank you so much for posting on this.
    Your sister in Christ,
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!
    EXCELLENT post Miss Livvy! I shall keep this in mind if I start my own blog.

    ReplyDelete