Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Are We Under Attack?

I just read this horrifying article on World Net Daily.
All of the bold sentences were emphasised by me.

"Court Orders Christian Child Into Government Education
10-year-old's 'vigorous' defense of her faith condemned by judge"

"A 10-year-old homeschool girl described as "well liked, social and interactive with her peers, academically promising and intellectually at or superior to grade level" has been told by a New Hampshire court official to attend a government school because she was too "vigorous" in defense of her Christian faith.
The decision from Marital Master Michael Garner reasoned that the girl's "vigorous defense of her religious beliefs to [her] counselor suggests strongly that she has not had the opportunity to seriously consider any other point of view."


The recommendation was approved by Judge Lucinda V. Sadler, but it is being challenged by attorneys with the Alliance Defense Fund, who said it was "a step too far" for any court.
The ADF confirmed today it has filed motions with the court seeking reconsideration of the order and a stay of the decision sending the 10-year-old student
in government-run schools in Meredith, N.H.

The dispute arose as part of a modification of a parenting plan for the girl. The parents divorced in 1999 when she was a newborn, and the mother has homeschooled her daughter since first grade with texts that meet all state standards.

In addition to homeschooling, the girl attends supplemental public school classes and has also been involved in a variety of extra-curricular sports activities, the ADF reported.
But during the process of negotiating the terms of the plan, a guardian ad litem appointed to participate concluded the girl "appeared to reflect her mother's rigidity on questions of faith" and that the girl's interests "would be best served by exposure to a public school setting" and "different points of view at a time when she must begin to critically evaluate multiple systems of belief ... in order to select, as a young adult, which of those systems will best suit her own needs."
According to court documents, the guardian ad litem earlier had told the mother, "If I want her in public school, she'll be in public school."


"Parents have a fundamental right to make educational choices for their children. In this case specifically, the court is illegitimately altering a method of education that the court itself admits is working," said ADF-allied attorney John Anthony Simmons of Hampton.

"The court is essentially saying that the evidence shows that, socially and academically, this girl is doing great, but her religious beliefs are a bit too sincerely held and must be sifted, tested by, and mixed among other worldviews. This is a step too far for any court to take."
"

At the end of the article it reads;

"The guardian ad litem had an anti-Christian bias, the documents said, telling the mother at one point she wouldn't even look at homeschool curriculum.
"I don't want to hear it. It's all Christian based," she said."


The rest of the article can be read here.

This is just one more of many attacks on the homeschool movement. What really upsets me is the part that says the girl was; "too "vigorous" in defense of her Christian faith.".

I have more to say about this, but I will have to come back later.
I'm planning on doing a blog post about this subject soon.

Blessings,
~Livvy

12 comments:

  1. oh. my. goodness.
    That is HORRIFYING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definately horrifying, but it's not the first. It's also a direct violation of the constitution. Oh well, it';s not like they stick to that anymore.
    I stopped by to ask a favor of you. Could you stop by my blog and comment on what you think of my latest post on birth control?
    God bless,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is unpardonable!!
    Do parents not have any control over their children anymore? I'm so sorry to hear about this, and it makes me more determined to get my bachelors degree online (at home) next year; so that if (God willing) I homeschool my future children one day, the government can't interfere as easily..
    This is an awakening article you posted Livvy...THANK you!!

    Your friend,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful! Now more than ever, Christian young people must stand up for Jesus Christ and their faith in him. I applaud that young girl for standing for the truth. We need to be praying for her and others like her.

    P.S. I think I've stopp by your blog before but I'm not certain. If you'd like, stop by my personal blog (Footprints in the Sand).

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear!! That makes me so mad; peoples views can be so twisted! I wonder what things will be like in twenty years? Thankfully, God is always in control.

    Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is terrible! I have heard of that happening many times. Thankfully, I am getting too old for them to do that to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something we need to pray about!! Sometimes I fear for the next generation growing up with this issue. I pray the LORD will allow me to homeschool my children when I grow up! Let's remember to pray about this always! Thanks, Livvy for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my!I hate hearing about this stuff.I remember my mom telling me about someone came to a homeschool family's house,the father was at work,and they started asking the children all these questions.The lady even tried to lift up the 10 year olds shirt!(blush blush,very disturbing)ANd they were making the mom and kids stay outside til' the father got home.When he did get home they hand cuffed him!So when they all went inside she called the HSLDA.After that they left,but it makes me furious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhhhh!

    Help!

    I think I go start writing letters...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so sad, that our country is becoming like this. That we don't or won't believe in God, and that we should force peole to do what we want. Where is our VIRTUE??

    Thank You so much for your blog it inspires me to become more Christlike and loving!!

    ReplyDelete