Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Just A Note

Hello All!

I have been away for a dreadfully long time, I’m afraid. I have been very busy, I’ve hardly had time to read y’alls blogs, much less comment. But, as it always does, this dizzy busy spell will end and a week or so later it will come back. So hopefully I will be blessed with a moment on the computer between now and the time it’s back.


In news, my garden is doing wonderful, only some nasty bugs nearly killed my cucumbers and they succeeded in killing one of my zucchini plants. Yet, it has been a learning experience.

I now know that Rattlesnake Beans grow almost 2 feet higher than the panels they’re trellised on, and that cucumbers will grow madder than ivy when trellised and prolifically produce an abundance of cucumbers, that squash doesn’t trellis, that butter beans prefer to sit about 2 feet off the ground but do not like to trellis either, and Roma tomatoes take an infuriating amount of time to vine ripen (but maybe it’s just me, ‘cause I like them so much!), I’ve also found that banana peppers will grow extraordinarily fast when you don’t know just what to do with them, and lastly (for now), that gardening is one of my favorite hobbies


We successfully rid ourselves of those nasty snakes, and I got some pictures of the whole thing. We also just extracted the honey from our hive which was photographed as well. Lord willing, when posting is back on the list of to-do, these will be the first ones.


Well, for the next few weeks, Lord willing, Mom, Dad, Mike, Myself, everyone in our family will be organizing and cleaning and painting etc. etc. Summer cleaning isn’t the norm, but it needs to be done, so here we go. Last Autumn, Winter, even this Spring was extraordinarily hectic and busy. We could hardly keep the house clean, much less finish up some projects that needed to be done. So, during the next 2-3 weeks we will be completing tasks and maybe after everything is finished we will have a delightful, much needed break from our out-of-whack schedule. Lord willing.

Until I am back, here is an Irish Blessing and an endearing Bible verse in farewell;

_____________________________________________

May there always be work for your hands to do.

May your purse always hold a coin or two.

May the sun always shine on your window pane.

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.

May the hand of a friend always be near you.

May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

______________________________________________


“And let us not grow weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not.” Galatians 6:9

With much love in Christ,
~Livvy

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Livvy, it sounds like you and your family have been super busy! I've really missed your posts, but I totally understand how busy times can get. :)

    Your garden sounds wonderful, and that's great how you're enjoying it so much! :)

    Well, I hope you're having a blessed weekend, dear friend!

    ~ Love in Christ,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Lindsay!
    Thanks for the sweet comment!
    I hope to post a little bit when I get the chance. :)

    I heard about your Dad's new job and your family's plans for moving.
    Praise the Lord, I'm so glad the Lord answered y'alls prayers!

    I'm praying that y'all can find a house soon and that y'alls current house will sell quickly.

    Blessings & much Sister-In-Christ love,

    ~Livvy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of bugs? There might be a non-toxic solution....

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spencer,
    Thank you for commenting. I've looked around a bit, and I believe they are squash bugs. As they feed off the plant they release a toxin that quickly (in my case) kills the plants.
    I think I'm going to try a few herbal insect repellents and see if that works.

    Again, thank you!

    Blessings,
    ~Livvy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squash bugs, eh? Well, usually I'm something of a champion of insects but in such a case, when they are eating your food, they must be squashed! SQUASHED I say!!! ;-P

    I know little of these guys so I dug a bit. They are true bugs (not all insects are actual bugs), so belong in Order Hemiptera. Being in this order means they have piercing/sucking mouthparts, and most suck plant sap (as yours do). They are related to the infamous aphids....

    Being true bugs this also means that they grow via what is called incomplete metamorphosis, as opposed to complete metamorphosis. Butterflies, for example, undergo complete metamorhosis. From a caterpillar to cocoon to a a butterfly (larva, pupa, adult). So, do not expect this--expect to see only babies and adults. Incomplete metamorphosis means that they only have two stages. The babies, which will look like tiny versions of the adults, more or less, are called nymphs. (I actually ate cricket nymphs once....) From what little I just read, hunt these guys, old and young, and their eggs down.

    A few links you might wanna check out (I always like natural non-pesticidal alternatives, and these had some good ideas):

    http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm

    http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag295/html/squash_bug.htm

    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1208.html

    http://www.life123.com/home-garden/gardening-tips/garden-pests/top-five-ways-to-control-squash-bugs.shtml

    I'm sorry I can't help, I don't have any experience with anything but aphids (never did much gardening, live in a deep city). Ladybugs (actually beetles) eat them voraciously, but I don't think the little guys could take down your squash bugs. I'm not sure about praying mantids either, but gardening stores and supply companies do sell their eggs often for natural predators for your garden.

    HTH, and hope you didn't mind my rant. I sure enjoy talking insects, so thanks for giving me the oppurtunity. :-)

    God bless!

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Spencer!

    Thank you for researching all of that, it really helped!

    I had only seen a few of the bugs in our garden before (as in the last few years), but there must have been something about my garden that they liked, because I saw hundreds of them on my plants (too late!).

    They ruined the plants literally overnight. I plan on pulling up the dead plants and either just let it go at that, or, if the season permits, replant some new ones.
    I'm just a little disappointed, but it will serve as a well-learned lesson for next time, I suppose. :)

    I'll try
    some of those remedies you linked to.

    Again, thank you so much for using your time to help me!

    Blessings,
    ~Livvy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, well, my pleasure, honestly. If I get a chance to discuss insects, I'm happy. :-)

    God bless!

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete