Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Sourdough

Hello all!

A couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday evening I started some sourdough.

Sourdough from scratch made without a culture starter is called "wild yeast" sourdough. After the water and flour are mixed together and left on the counter for a week, the mold spores in the air will cause the sourdough to sour and come alive.
All last week I added flour and water and stirred the starter in the morning.

Then on Saturday I took some of it and added the ingredients for bread. This consisted simply of salt, honey and more flour. After doing this I let it rise for 4 hours and then baked the loaves for 20+ minutes. The "crumb" was unlike any bread I had ever eaten before. It actually turned out better than I had hoped, and the crust was crunchy and chewy. The taste of the bread itself was new to me, being a truly sour dough. I think we will be adjusting our palette soon enough though. Each week as long as I keep up the flour-water routine, I can do this.
If you would like to start some yourself, here is the link to the recipe.

I doubled the recipe so there would be enough bread to last a few days.
Also, the recipe calls for organic flour, but I simply used what I had on hand. Meaning, of course, all purpose flour. :)




Blessings!

~Livvy

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!
    It looks perfect!
    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it's funny that you should post about making bread...as I write this I'm waiting for my loaf of bread to rise!

    It looks delicious!

    ~Camille~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I'll have to try it out.
    ~joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ladies!
    Thank you!
    It was very easy to do, I hope y'all try it.
    Also, here's a hint. To get the golden-brown sheen, I brushed it with butter a few minutes before I brought them out of the oven.

    Blessings,
    ~Livvy

    ReplyDelete